This compact yet powerful Novation synthesizer and vocoder comprises 37 smaller sized keys than usual, but still allows the ranging controls for just about all your analog sound needs. You can mash up over 250 different pre-installed soundbytes, as well as your own vocals, instantly for new and creative versions you have in mind. Read all about it in this Novation MiniNova review.
Huge patches can be created effectively thanks to the extensive twenty slot synth engine built into the device- the same one as is featured on the Novation Ultranova. Beats and rhythms that you design can be mixed to your taste in little to no time at all with the included arpeggiator.
[amazon fields=”B009AK3NDW” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_alt=”Novation MiniNova Analog Modeling Synthesizer”]
This MiniNova model from Novation can be linked to your PC or laptop with the USB port and cable, enabling it to be used like a traditional MIDI control. You definitely get your money’s worth in this modern synth, and it brings loads of fun with it too thanks to the effects on the vocoder.
Novation MiniNova Key Features:
- The vocoder and voice manipulation effects are a real treat
- Real-time production of sound creation
- More than 250 varying built-in sounds with quick searching
- 5 effects possible for layering per vocal input
- Seven types of effect including: compression, delay, distortion and EQ.
- Two audio inputs (XLR and TRS)
- Three outputs for the audio (two TS and a headphone)
- Dimensions: L 2.95″, H 23.2″ and W 9.06″
- Weighs just 6lbs
- Software included to edit material and a librarian feature with patch too.
- Easily accommodates guitars, vocal and other instrumental additions.
Who is the Novation MiniNova most suitable for?
Those who have owned first-hand or seen the MiniNova’s more powerful predecessor UltraNova in action will know the quality that these Novation models can offer.
The numerous effects, in conjunction with the preset sounds, open up wide possibilities with thousands of combinations for those who like to do some fine tweaking for a distinctive sound.
Easily slotted into existing set-ups at home studios, this compact synthesizer will quickly become a key part of your rig. The small keyboard is ideal for knocking out a quick tune and getting an immediate feel for the kind of sound you desire to create.
Not only does the MiniNova accept instrumental additions, but is also capable of transforming and enhancing your vocals. Compression and distortion effects can provide hours of sound production fun altering vocals and jazzing up your instruments.
- 256 preset patches can be altered using any of the 5 knobs, or twisted and crafted to perfection using a combination of the 8 buttons provided. Think of the possibilities of performing your tunes whilst they’re converted in real-time to the preset sound of your choice!
- The voice tuner and built-in vocoder is perfect if you’re looking for a more vocal-oriented device. Get the cool effects the big names use in their modern track releases at a fraction of the price as a bulk studio version. This one weighs in at just 6lbs yet delivers voice alteration for nearly any task you set your mind to.
- The range for this synth engine is massive, with 14 different wave-forms including triangle, square and pulse to choose from. There are also 20 various digital wave-forms to select and more than 35 wave-tables. Use these to your advantage for all kinds of analog sound and vocal alteration.
- There are buttons and knobs galore on this mini-model, giving you ultimate control over every aspect of the production. The MiniNova has 8 touchpads to ‘animate’ sounds from the bank of patches, backlit for convenience these modify your sounds whilst you play.
- One of the disadvantages of this model is the battery. This powerful synth engine gobbles energy to maintain it’s top performance, so the addition of power from a USB cable from a laptop or tablet is needed if you want to enjoy this away from the home or studio.
- The same as it’s big brother the UltraNova, the mini version can only play single sounds at any one time. This is not a huge drawback, however, and the sound quality that this compact device can pump out more than makes up for this fact. As easily programmable as the UltraNova.
At a tiny 56cm by 25cm, the MiniNova is literally a smaller version of the popular UltraNova released a few years earlier. The keyboard is small, but this device sits comfortably into any additional set-up you may already have.
The price is awesome for such a small piece of quality sound editing equipment with the top Novation brand name behind it- and the expertise they bring to the device’s production. The envelopes are triggered by clever processes which cause them to be manually initiated in the same way that the UltraNova does.
[amazon box=”B009AK3NDW” /]
The wide range of knobs and buttons to choose from are located within reaching distance of the keyboard, so you can tinker with them whilst still playing a certain key to get altered effects. The fact that this all-in-one vocoder and synthesizer can deliver just as well as the larger more expensive models should be considered here. For a home piece of equipment, this is packed with great features often found in larger studio quality synthesizers.
All in all, this Novation release is a neat little synthesizing machine, perfect for creating a huge array of musical and vocal sounds with the extensive preset choices and knobs.
Have personal experience using the Novation MiniNova? Feel free to leave your two cents in the comments section below to expand the conversation!
Novation MiniNova Analog Modeling Synthesizer Review
This compact yet powerful Novation synthesizer and vocoder comprises 37 smaller sized keys than usual, but still allows the ranging controls for just abou